When is a consignment good?

A consignment of furniture or other items from your home may be good for one or more of these reasons: it can be moved without cost, or it can move into the same home but is kept separate from your other furniture, such as a couch or chair.

It can be stored in a container or box, or in a locked cabinet.

If it is stored in the same room as other furniture in the home, it can protect the furniture from damage and be moved if the room is disturbed or if someone knocks at the door.

If the consignment is stored outside of the home and is moved within the same house, it cannot be moved.

A consigner can apply for a consignation to be placed under a “special circumstances” category of consignment.

The category may include items from a second home, which are more likely to be of interest to the consignee than other items.

If your home is listed in this category, the consigned item must be moved to a separate location.

The consignment must be at least 20 per cent of the value of the house.

If you apply for consignment to be listed in a category other than consignment the consigning party must make an application for a “consignment by arrangement” (CBA) to the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD).

You can find more information about consignment by arrangements and applying for consignments on the Consignments and Resellers Department of the DHCD website.

If consignment has been accepted and you want to apply for it to be returned to you, you must apply to the DHPD.

You will be required to complete a form that includes your name and contact details, as well as a copy of the CBA agreement and your proof of identity.

You should also complete an application form (form T12-CBA), if you are not in the special circumstances category.

If there is no agreement in place to return the consignder to you by the end of the 10-day period, it may not be possible to apply.

A letter from the consortia to the residential tenant of the consigne, or to the person making the application, will be sent to the rental unit, as required.

This letter will indicate that you are able to return your consignment within the 10 days.

If a residential tenancy agreement is not in place, it is up to the tenant to agree with the consigeor to return their property.

The tenant will then have the option of paying a deposit to the landlord to secure the return of their property and to pay to the government to assist the government with the recovery of the money paid by the tenant.

You can read more about consignees and consignations in the Residential Tenancies Act and other laws on the DHPC website.

For further information on consignment and consignment arrangements, call (08) 9248 8477 or email [email protected]

You may also call the Residential Property Service (UP) on 1800 898 730 to arrange a consigned home for a low-income family or a senior citizen.

This service is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

If housing needs are assessed as a high-priority issue, the residential service may be able to offer you more help and help with housing costs if you apply.

If not, you can apply to DHCD for assistance to meet your housing needs.

For more information, see: How do I contact the DHRC to arrange for a house for my partner?